Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fresh ground and brewed coffee
The following is what I have learned about getting the most out of green coffee beans.   They look smaller in the green state.  This company packs them in 19 oz. cans.  These 
green been are going to cook for about 10 minutes before they 
are dark roasted. Ceck the beans for any signs of mold.  They should have the color and finish similar to split peas or green lentil beans.   All are arabica beans.  If kept in a burlap sack, green coffee beans will stay fresh when kept in a cool, dry, place for up to one year.

I roast coffee beans outside because of the smoke, smell, and heat that is generated.  The first step is to get a heat source, covered pan, wooden spoon, oven mitt, and cookie sheet ready.  I use an outdoor cook stove.  Get the pan hot to about 500 degrees before placing the green beans inside.  This takes about 3-5 minutes.  
I use a glass lid because you can see what is happening inside, but you can a metal cover if that is what you have.  I use a cast iron skillet because it contains and keeps a steady heat which gives a more even roast.  You can use any cookware that can handle the high heat.  Be sure to remember to use a mitt, as the lid and handle get very hot in this process.  Some use a wisk or metal spoon to stir the beans, but I prefer wood--the metal touching the beans gives the coffee flavor a metallic taste that is unpleasant.

Start with about 3/4 cup of beans.  This will make 10 cups of coffee. 
As you see here, I am adding them to the skillet a little at a time.  Don't worry if some beans are already turning brown or black.  You must constantly stir the beans to get an even roast—it is called pyrolysis.  You will hear them popping like popcorn and some hissing--and a lot of smoke!   This is normal.  Keep shaking and stirring for 2-5 minutes longer to achieve the color you want.  Darker beans equal richer roast.  My beans look like I burned them!  But that is Italian roast.  Turn off the heat, shake and stir and the beans are ready to be placed to cool for about 15 minutes. 
 I use a cookie sheet.  After 15 minutes, you can dehull them.  I use a hairdryer to blow away the husks.


After they have cooled, place them in an airtight container.  The enemies of roasted coffee beans are light, heat, air, and moisture.  I made a cammo mason jar to hold my beans for the week.  Some experts suggest opening the container to allow CO2 to escape after roasting.  Others suggest placing your roasted beans in a freezer to preserve freshness.  This is particularly true if you live in a humid climate.

There are several ways to brew your coffee beans.  My favorite is the French press. 
As you see here, I have brewed some of my just roasted beans.  Some days I use my coffee maker, or you could even make Turkish or cowboy coffee.  Whatever your brewing method it is better than any you get at a retail outlet.   Just enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment